Is it possible to improve efficiency just by measuring data? Yes, is the short answer from Midsona. In fact, they registered an improvement in OEE (equipment efficiency) of 10% simply by installing a Trendlog Collect.
Midsona Danmark A/S, the Danish supplier of brands like Urtekram, have been working on several actions to improve their production over the last few years. But they have been simultaneously needing a way to track results from these actions.
– We have been working on continuous improvement processes for many years in our supply chain. We have also had some success with these projects, but unfortunately we often see that the effect is lost over time. Therefore we needed a system to help us maintain the results of our improvement projects, says COO at Midsona Danmark A/S, Morten Jensen.
Additionally, Midsona needed to make sure that any data were measured on the same foundation across their factories in other countries for benchmarking purposes.
Employing approximately 250 people in Denmark, Midsona felt that they were big enough to start looking into their efficiency, thus needing data to start measuring and optimizing. But they found that most systems were very complex.
– We started looking for OEE monitoring solutions and found many. But most of them were overly complex and very expensive. 90-100.000 euro just to get started was way too expensive for us, but luckily we discovered Trendlog.io, and it was far more manageable, both in terms of price and complexity, says Morten Jensen.
If we were to settle for a 10% improvement, then we would be more than happy. But this is significantly more though. The initial 10% you get just by monitoring.
Improvements from day 1
Midsona had Trendlog Collect installed on 3 production lines and were able to see improvements in OEE right from the start.
– If we were to settle for a 10% improvement, then we would be more than happy. But this is significantly more though. The initial 10% you get just by monitoring and making it accessible for the employees in their daily work routine. The rest of the potential you get by acting on the errors and findings the data will show you, says COO at Midsona, Morten Jensen.
Midsona is now using their collected data to work towards an even more stable production. For instance, Trendlog Collect registers whenever one of the production lines is inactive, allowing Midsona to determine whether their downtime is caused by internal or external factors, such as the delivery of raw materials.
After a targeted effort we can see that our OEE is improving to a 20% increase and we have shown that there are even more improvements to come.
– The registration of errors is my favorite feature. We get live updates from the production floor across the factory, in terms of which machines are operating and which of them are not. It is key to keep us moving forward and improving, says Morten Jensen.
Being made aware of production stops and working to reduce these is very important for us, because it does not only stabilize our production, it also benefits our financial bottom line.
– After a targeted effort we can see that our OEE is improving to a 20% increase and we have shown that there are even more improvements to come, says Morten Jensen.
Others also read
Last week, a large part of the Trendlog team was in Munich at the Automatica 2022 trade fair, where we were part of Odense Robotics’ Danish pavilion. And what a week it was!
Per 1st of October, Trendlog.io restructured internally, and has assigned Sebastian Märcher Sandig as new CEO.
The all-new Trendlog Collect 2.0 – The simple way of optimizing production.